Friday, April 16, 2010

A Clarification

First Baptist Church has been searching for a pastor since September of 2008. Three days after the search began, I was told by the committee that they were not considering me for pastor because I did not have my education completed, I was too young, and I did not have any experience as a pastor. Later I was told that it was because I was single. None of these reasons ever really set well with me.

I received another reason today and though the logic is faulty, I can live with it. It is, "First Baptist called me to be the Youth and Children's Minister and I am doing my job very well, and they do not want to mess that up." First let's address the logic. Would they consider me if I was doing poorly? Is that how businesses operate? I believe they promote their associate managers that do well to department, general, district, regional, etc. Do they not know that if another church selects me, the youth and children's ministry would be without and be "messed up"? Wouldn't it be better for me to maintain some stability as pastor and aid the new Youth and Children's Minister? Why could the successs found in the youth and children's ministries not extend to the entire church body? Finally, I thank God that Jesus does not operate that way either. In the parable of the talents Jesus says, "His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave! You were faithful over a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Share your master's joy!'"

So I will continue to work under the call that First Baptist has given me until it is replaced with a call from another church or they remove the existing call, replacing it with a call to be a pastor. That is kind of freeing don't you think? I wouldn't have to juggle two positions but just be faithful to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment